Thursday, October 09, 2008

Rex Reed...

Reading the New York Observer the other day just for the Rex Reed movie reviews. Still the same standard as way back in the late 60s when I used to see him on TV. WOW. Rex has been a mainstay of my movie (O.K. pretentious people out there, my film) interest all these years. He's the kind of iconic name like Marilyn Monroe or Henry Kissinger. He's just always been there in my cultural database. Not for me the mellow tones of an Ebert, though I love the guy's reviews sometimes; no, I prefer the acerbic tones, the irony and the satire I get from reading Rex's reviews. When he likes a movie, I can tell that will be a film worth watching. When he does not, it gives me pause. Sometimes I disagree, but I always respect his insightful opinions and ruthless critiques. You get the feeling no one has EVER paid Rex Reed to simper over their movies! His review of Sex and the City is a scream! I loved the movie for what it was, my chance to see the ladies one more time, but as far as film, he had it nailed! Keep it up Rex, to me you are still that dashingly handsome guy I saw on late night TEEVEE back in the early 70s...

No comments:

Post a Comment