Thursday, September 15, 2011

NOOK the new...

Well, I finally got another eReader. The Barnes & Noble NOOK the all-new better contrast-lighter-smaller-less-expensive one. I love it. I urge you to try it. I must tell you that you NEED Wi-Fi for the registration process and to download and sync your eBooks when you buy them. I haven't explored the USB to PC yet so cannot say what functions I can do with that yet. BUT, I do like this iteration of the E Ink® technology. I like the price of this unit, and although my ZIRE is still operational and no problems have arisen, the pdb format is sadly left behind, and the NOOK supports epub. Books are quick and easy to purchase on Barnes & Noble once you register your product with your account. In fact, they are too easy to buy! They download extremely fast. I was told they download faster than a friend's Kindle, but I haven't first hand knowledge of that. I have been using the desktop software for both PC and Mac for both NOOK and Kindle now for some time. They are both good products but NOOK really outshines Kindle in my book. Both will sync your reading to either the desktops or the devices as you read wherever you are on whatever you read - say I read a book on my desktop while I eat my lunch, then NOOK will sync my reading to my device later. So far the PC software for desktop doesn't sync, as the Mac desktop version is newer and has nicer features so far. Kindle's desktop software is rudimentary so far for both, but does have the handy option for reading the books with a sepia or black background instead of all that light shining into your eyes on a desktop with a white background to the book pages. White light and eInk aren't the same at all. One interesting note is that you need a book light for both the Kindle and the NOOK because they aren't backlit. Of course the NOOK color is but it is a whole different animal and not in this post. It's an Android Pad and not really a dedicated eBook reader, so since I wanted a dedicated eBook reader, I got the NOOK.

No comments:

Post a Comment