Monday, March 07, 2005

Dangerous Net News?

This morning on the way to work the radio news informed me that in the last 5 years there has been a slow and steady move to getting our news on the web. I assume this shift in the demographic is FROM television, since radio news had been losing out to television for years. After telling us of this gradual increase in the numbers of us getting our news from the web, the commentator offered up this advice: "The danger inherent in getting your news from the web is that you don't always know what you're getting."

So - does this mean that when I go to the New York Times, the BBC, the CBC, NBC, CBS and ABC, Reuters, AP and the usual sources ON THE WEB, I am getting less valuable news? No. It means that for some reason, the fear is that I might lose my powers of discernment as soon as I turn on the Mac, and get my news from Joe's News and Propaganda(fictitious) or the like. I think not. Perhaps there are people whose choices are as bad on the net as they are on their radios and TVs, so if they get unreliable news what else would you expect?

No comments:

Post a Comment