Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Bob Dylan...

Bob Dylan played here recently. I didn't go to the concert. Those who did talked about it a lot, and the consensus was it was one of the best they'd seen over the years. I have of course always been aware of Dylan....I mean he's a bit older than I am, but we are contemporaries. When he was young in NY, I was in NY going to nurses training, when he was a kid in Hibbing, I was a kid less than 200 miles away in upstate MN. And then he gave the concert here and I live here - weird coincidence or what???

I had of course known about the usual stuff...Blowin' in the Wind, Mr. Tambourine Man etc., but being busy with other things during the 60s and 70s, I hadn't really listened to much Dylan. So this past week I have been overdosing, and enjoying myself. I have always respected him as as writer and felt he would be remembered for a couple centuries more than almost everyone else from the music he was so instrumental in forming, but I hadn't listened to much of the lyrics he sang. What do you know! He really was a genius with words. Those songs resonate with humanity rather than any particular agenda. He says he isn't political, and I think that's true. He's a human though, and that comes through loud and clear.

I would like to pipe Masters of War into every governmental institution right now until they get the message. But the one I have sticking in my head is I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More...great song, sticks in the head...

No comments:

Post a Comment