Tuesday, September 30, 2003

After finishing "Scoop" on Friday, I finally and reverently picked up "Wonder Boys." Michael Chabon can't write books fast enough for me. Every platitudinous remark ever made, all the hyperbole ever given breath to about a writer is true of Michael Chabon. Great, funny, moving, lyrical, poetic, fun, amazing, ironic: all this and more. Very different from "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay," and written before that opus magnum, still "Wonder Boys" delivered adventures and ridiculous situations to surprise, sadden and amuse me. I had already seen the movie, and I have to say that the movie delivers the feeling of the book amazingly well. Oh yes, I finished "Wonder Boys" last night, now to go backwards again and buy and read "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh."

Even if J.K. Rowling and Michael Chabon don't write another word, I will have been privileged to live in their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment